How can you get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you decide to update to a more sophisticated model like cochlear implants or you got them from a departed family member: donate your pre-owned hearing aids rather than getting rid of.
There are lots of people suffering from hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and a few organizations out there that collect and distribute those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and find out how you can do it.
Why It’s Important to Donate a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Of the total population, about 14% suffer from some kind of hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from hearing loss are over the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some kind of hearing loss
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually utilize hearing aids
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of individuals over 70 who need hearing aids have ever used them
I think we should be concerned. Because untreated hearing loss has been linked to several health problems from a greater risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. In fact, new studies come out all the time showing how important hearing is to your overall health. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health problems (and in some cases even reverse them).
And the last compelling point is that loss of hearing can cost the average family $12,000 in earnings each year. But that cost can actually be reduced by as much as 50% by using hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it may simply not be possible for them to afford a hearing aid.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have a huge impact on their financial stability, quality of life, and overall health. It might also cost a child the ability to go to college and better their lives because they are unable to hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come by and we can help you find a recycling strategy. Or you can just give us a call.