Did you know?
Approximately 26 million Americans have hearing loss that maybe caused by exposure to noise, and that NIHL is the only type of hearing loss that is typically preventable.
Fireworks may be once a year, but protecting your hearing health is 24/7/365
Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL)
- Can happen at any age and is potentially permanent.
- Has affected as many as 16% of teens (12-19).
- Is caused by damage to the inner ear’s hair cells which normally convert sound into signals the brain understands.
Other risk factors for NIHL include:
- Gender (Male)
- Cardiovascular disease
- Genetic factors
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Here are things we can we do to reduce the risk of NIHL:
- Know which noises can cause damage
- Wear earplugs or other protective devices
- If you can’t reduce the noise or protect yourself, move away from it
- Protect the ears of children too young to protect their own
And most importantly…
Have hearing screened if you think you, your loved ones or colleagues might have hearing loss.